Trinity United Church is a landmark in the centre of Verona, Ontario, (aerial photograph of Verona) a village of about 1,000 people, located about 30km north of Kingston, Ontario.
Verona is on the southern edge of the Canadian Shield, an area noted for its rugged beauty. Within the Verona area, there are over a dozen small and medium sized lakes. In the summer months, the population of the area expands considerably as the seasonal residents return to spend time at their cottages.
Trinity United Church is a member church of the United Church of Canada. We are a congregation of over 100 families from the Verona, Harrowsmith and Sydenham area.
You are welcome to join us on Sunday mornings at 10:00 am. There is also a relaxed weekday service at 4:00pm on Tuesdays. From September to June, there is Sunday School for the children at the same time as the worship service. You can listen to the service at 88.7 FM if you are within one kilometre of the church building.
Thursdays - 7:00 PM
We have an SATB choir (JPEG Picture 24K) of about 12 members. Our Music Director† is Stan Stinchcombe. We welcome any new members who are interested in singing with us.
The northern part of Frontenac County is very rugged and unsuitable for farming. As a result, the first settlers did not arrive in this area until around 1850. The earliest economic activity in the area was mainly lumber and mining (mica, feldspar and iron). The rugged landscape made transportation difficult and it was not until the construction of the Kingston to Pembroke Railway (K&P) in the 1880's that the area began to open up.
Jacob B. Snider, one of the first settlers, was the first lay Methodist preacher. He held meetings, traveling by horseback from house to house until the school-house was built.
The first Methodist church in Verona was built in 1886 on land donated by Alexander Spike. The original frame church was destroyed by fire in 1910 and was replaced with the current structure. The church is constructed of brick with a high ceiling with open rough-hewn crossed beams. A large stained glass window of "Jesus at the Door" faces the street. A circular stained glass window of the "Good Samaritan" is in the choir loft at the front of the church. The Christian Education wing was added in 1968.† The Christian Education wing underwent extensive renovations in 2006.
In 1926, the Methodist Church of Canada, the Congregationalist Church of Canada, and most of the congregations of the Presbyterian Church of Canada amalgamated to form the United Church of Canada.
In 1968, the Verona Pastoral Charge, which consisted of Verona United Church, Bellrock United Church, and Godfrey United Church, was combined with the Harrowsmith Pastoral Charge to form the Harrowsmith-Verona Pastoral Charge. At that time, Verona United Church was renamed to Trinity United Church
In 2016 our sister church, St, Paulís United Church in Harrowsmith, closed and amalgamated with Trinity.
The following links provide information on events and happenings within Verona and the greater Kingston area.
Contains information on the activities, events and businesses in the community of Verona.